What Happens to The Skin When We Age?
"The skin really changes with age, and now that I am in my 50s I clearly notice that my skin has different needs from when I was in my 30s and 40s." – Emma
Emma, how come you wanted to create a series specifically for more mature skin?
– The skin really changes with age, and now that I am in my 50s I clearly notice that my skin has different needs from when I was in my 30s and 40s. When we started to develop our ultimate series, we first wanted to understand what is really happening to our skin around 50 and up, and create a unique series that targets precisely these problems.
Why do you need to change your skincare products with age?
– You age constantly, and that of course includes your skin. The level of collagen actually starts to drop when you are around 25 years old, so it’s not surprising that your skin has different needs when you hit your 50s compared to when you are younger.
What happens to our skin as we approach our 50s?
– Except for the fact that we get more fine lines and wrinkles, I also notice that my skin is both thinner and more sensitive, and it doesn’t recover as quickly as it used to. Our genes and lifestyle play a big role in how our skin ages. That means your diet, exercise and sleeping habits. Besides these two factors your skin is also affected by the hormonal changes that normally occur around 50. The skin cell renewal process is slowed down and the natural levels of collagen and moisture go down as well. It was precisely these two problems we wanted to attack with the Ultimate series
What makes the Ultimate series unique?
- Ultimate includes unique formulations with several bioactive ingredients specifically selected to help mature skin by repairing, strengthening, smoothing and boosting with moisture. An ingredient I like to talk a little bit extra about is Getania. It is extracted from an ayurvedic herb, and it blurs the appearance of vertical lines and smooths the skin by improving cell regeneration. It strengthens the skin and reduces the visibility of vertical lines. The series also includes Vitamin A-derivate, low molecular Hyaluronic acid and extract from brown algae that improves the skin tone and texture.
What is the difference between Ageless and Ultimate?
- We recommend Ageless from around 30+ and Ultimate from 50+ when your skin needs even more potent products. Ultimate has a higher content of the anti-ageing Vitamin A, peptides that work against irregular pigmentation and a low molecular Hyaluronic acid that penetrates the skin and adds and binds moisture. As I mentioned before, Ultimate also contains Getania that works against the vertical lines that tend to get more visible with age. The Ultimate series also has a creamier texture as a more mature skin often needs more moisture.
Tell us about the packaging and the fragrance.
- Ultimate has a fresh and soothing scent with notes of Tea, Ginger, Lemon, Peach and Sandalwood. The packages are stylish and have hygienic vacuum pumps and windows, so that you easily can see how much cream is left. The lids of the day- and night creams also have different colours so that you won’t have to run and get your reading glasses every time you are looking for the right cream...
You have also done independent studies on the finished products, tell us more.
- It has been very important to me to conduct independent studies on each of the four Ultimate products. Therefore, we chose to conduct individual studies on all four products at the internationally renowned test institute Pro-Derm in Germany. The studies showed, among other things, a significant improvement in moisture content and skin cell renewal in the treated area compared to the untreated.