Carolina Öberg is a licensed skincare therapist at Emma S. We asked her about why it is so important to have a good cleansing routine.
– A good daily cleansing routine is the foundation for beautiful skin. With daily cleansing, I mean both morning and evening, and preferably in at least three steps in the evening.
But why is it so important to do it?
– Let’s take a look on what can end up on your face on a daily basis; sunscreen, primer, makeup, dirt, exhaust gases, pollutants, sweat and bacteria. Makeup today is better than ever and can be tough to remove. All of these things pile up on your face and will eventually build up a layer. This layer does not only clog your pores (which can lead to unflattering blemishes and blackheads), but will also block you skin and make it impossible for all your yummy serums, moisturisers and luxurious face masks to penetrate the skin and work their magic.
– The skin is also a super important part of your immune system where the outer layer has a so called “acid mantle” consisting of fats and lipids with a natural acidic pH-level. This acidic environment works as a great protection against bacteria since the microorganisms don’t like this acidity.
Can’t I just use good old soap and water?
– If you treat your skin poorly and e.g. use a regular hand soap with a high pH-value you will disrupt the skins natural pH-balance. This can both make your skin dry as well as lower the immune protection which can lead to a reactive and sensitive skin.
So, how should I cleanse my skin?
– To get perfectly clean skin (and save up on laundry from makeup dirty towels) I always recommend following a three-step routine:
- Remove makeup – If you use makeup you should always start with an effective makeup remover. Choose a remover that suits your individual needs and preferences. If you use a lot of eye makeup or waterproof mascara, opt for a fragrance-free eye makeup remover. If you are more of a foundation-, rouge- and bronzer- kind of girl, reach for the 2 in 1 makeup remover and use it together with a cotton pad. If you have sensitive or very dry skin, gently massage a cleansing oil directly onto your dry face to dissolve your makeup.
- Wash – When you’ve said bye bye to your makeup, use a face wash to get rid of the last traces of dirt and excess oils. Use a facial wash especially made for the face with the right pH-level.
- Balance – neutralize the skin’s pH-level with a facial toner to make it ready for your following creams and serums.
– The result you’ll get from having a good skincare routine is not just a fresh and clear complexation, but you will also get the benefits of more glow, less visible dryness wrinkles and better effect of the rest of your skincare routine.
But seriously, how am I supposed to have time for all of this?
– I am myself a mother of two young ones so I know how hard it can be to make time for it all and especially time for myself. First of all, it isn’t as complicated and time consuming as it may sound, and second of all we are all human. The important thing isn’t that you do it perfect, as long as you do something.
Find your cleansing-routine here.